Monday, February 23, 2015

All It Takes Is One Person To Change Your Life

I believe that all it takes is one person to change your life. Sometimes you get lucky and meet that person and sometimes you don't. For me, the difference between meeting mine and not meeting mine was that I don't think i'd have found my calling in life if i never would have had the great honor of meeting this person. If it wasn't for her I wouldn't be where I am today or be as strong as I am. I truly believe this person is the reason for where I am and how far I've come. She is...my psychologist. 
 I first met Monica a few months before i turned 13. She was my moms counselor and my dads. The counselor I had been seeing moved to Texas and the idea of having to tell my whole life story to someone new, again, seemed so frustrating. Lucky for me, Monica knew all my past and problems (for the most part) because she had counseled both my parents. So she took me in (as a patient) and since that day, I knew (in the back of my mind) she was about to change my life. 
After about a year I had a calling and I decided I wanted to be Monica. I wanted to change lives the way she was changing mine. One thing I loved about her was how she was so kind but also she had this stern motherly side about her. For example one day, me and my mom were trying to talk about how we were and I closed up, I didnt want to talk. After a few minutes in silence Monica said, "You need to talk to me young lady." She said it in way that snapped me back into the moment and I talked. She's shown me what it means to care about people and show them. Even when tough love is needed. She's got me through my worst years and continues to show me I can survive the hardest and longest days. She's never short on compliments, she showed me how it's good to be open about feelings and how to talk. She makes me want to open up and I hope someday I will be just as good of a psychologist as she's been to me. And I hope everyone else is lucky and blessed to meet that ONE person that changes your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment